The new Turkey
Muhterem Tanık 

28-Oct-2018 10:26

24 October 2018:

The court also ruled for the continuation of their arrest.

The court board of the İstanbul 25th Heavy Penal Court had previously ruled that the files of fugitive defendants Bülent Ceyhan and Said Sefa shall be separated since the arrest warrants issued against them had not been executed. The board also ruled that Muhterem Tanık shall be acquitted of the charge of "being a member of an armed terrorist organization".

In the verdict of the İstanbul Regional Court of Justice, it was stated that the evidence in the case file was sound and sufficient for conviction and the ruling of the local court complied with the law.

As part of this lawsuit, journalists were arrested again shortly after a verdict of release was issued for them.



18 January 2018:
Indictment against 28 journalists submitted to court
 
The Istanbul Prosecutor’s Office on Jan. 18 completed an indictment against 29 journalists,  most of whom arrested as part of the post-coup investigation.
 
The prosecutor seeks between 10 - 15 years in prison for the 28 suspects on charges of attempting to overthrow the state or terrorism. The prosecutor has asked for life without the possibility of parole for Said Sefa, the former editor in-chief of the news website Haberdar.
 
The prosecutor asked for up to 10 years for Atilla Taş, a singer-turned-Twitter phenomenon who’d started writing in the shuttered Meydan daily prior to the coup.
 
The prosecutor wants between five to ten yars for the other journalists,
who are Abdullah Kılıç, Ahmet Memiş, Ali Akkuş, Atilla Taş, Bayram Kaya, Bülent Ceyhan, Bünyamin Köseli, Cemal Azmi Kalyoncu, Cihan Acar, Cuma Ulus, Davut Aydın, Emre Soncan, Gökçe Fırat Çulhaoğlu, Habib Güler, Halil İbrahim Balta, Hanım Büşra Erdal, Hüseyin Aydın, Muhammed Sait Kuloğlu, Muhterem Tanık, Murat Aksoy, Mustafa Erkan Acar, Mutlu Çölgeçen, Oğuz Usluer, Seyid Kılıç, Ufuk Şanlı, Ünal Tanık, Yakup Çetin and Yetkin Yıldız on charges of “membership in an armed terrorist organization.


13 February 2017:

Court accepts indictment into journalists arrested in coup probe
 
On Feb. 13, an indictment against 28 journalists who were arrested in the probe into the July 15 coup attempt was accepted. The prosecutor has demanded between 7.5 to 15 years for 28 journalists on charges of membership in a terrorist organization.
 
The accused journalists are Abdullah Kılıç, Ahmet Memiş, Ali Akkuş, Atilla Taş, Bayram Kaya, Bülent Ceyhan, Bünyamin Köseli, Cemal Azmi Kalyoncu, Cihan Acar, Cuma Ulus, Davut Aydın, Emre Soncan, Gökçe Fırat Çulhaoğlu, Habib Güler, Halil İbrahim Balta, Hanım Büşra Erdal, Hüseyin Aydın, Muhammed Sait Kuloğlu, Muhterem Tanık, Murat Aksoy, Mustafa Erkan Acar, Mutlu Çölgeçen, Oğuz Usluer, Seyid Kılıç, Ufuk Şanlı, Ünal Tanık, Yakup Çetin and Yetkin Yıldız.
 
The journalists are scheduled to appear in court on various dates between March 27 – 31.